Office Contact Details – Sailing School Office number
General Enquiries – Monday to Friday 9.30 to 12.30 – +356213 16160 | +356 99889541
Last Minute Cancellations & Emergencies – Daily 9.00 to 17.00 – WhatsApp only – +356 99307037 –
Where possible please contact us via email at [email protected]
The RMYC Sailing School is situated on the Ta’ Xbiex waterfront, within the Royal Malta Yacht Club premises, next to the Black Pearl Restaurant.
You will find out office down by the slipway.
What to Wear & Bring
You will need to wear shorts and a t-shirt (preferably a UV t-shirt/top) , a cap or hat, plenty of high factor sun cream, and water shoes/booties.
If you don’t have water shoes, you can wear Flip Flops on land, but on the boats, you will need to have bare feet.
No jewellery is to be worn
For safety reasons, long hair needs to be tied back.
For Lessons, you may wish to wear warmer clothing. leggings/jogging pants.
Regular sailors tend to opt to buy a wetsuit.
It’s always a good idea to bring a change of clothes.
- A refillable water bottle
- Life Jacket
- Sun cream (30+)
- A change of clothing and a towel.
- Rain gear if it’s forecast to rain. We may still sail if it’s raining.
- Sailing booties or water shoes
Label all clothing and belongings clearly with indelible markers.
Please do not bring any unnecessary items of significant personal value. RMYC is not responsible for lost or stolen property (cell phones included).
On the Day
Sign in with one of the instructors upon arrival
There are changing rooms near the gym, under the restaurant. Please remember to leave these clean and tidy.
In the boat garage, there are a few small lockers for valuables (Adults only), your larger bags can be left near the lockers. Please ask an instructor for a key.
Please leave the slipway and boatyard clear.
Attn. Parents once you have signed the children in, you can watch from the Port21 Upper Terrace. If you are there before 1200hrs, Port21 is open for drinks and nibbles and bookings are not necessary.
Should you wish to book a table from 1200hrs onwards please contact them directly on +356 2123 6886.
Safety is our highest priority.
Sailing School staff will err on the side of safety when making weather-related activity decisions.
First aid kits are located in every motorboat and in the Sailing School office.
If your child has medical conditions, please be sure to alert and discuss protocols with the Chief Instructor.
Should an accident occur, please report to an instructor immediately.
In addition, lifejackets are mandatory and shall be worn at all times while near the water, on the docks, or on the water.
RMYC is not responsible for lost property, however, we do our best to help locate items left at the club.
Any items found will be placed in the lost and found bucket, which is located in the garages, next to the optimist sails.
All items should be named in marker pen.
Lessons in bad weather
Lessons are only cancelled if the weather causes safety concerns or we cannot launch.
In the rare occasion of a cancellation, you will be informed via the WhatsApp group.
WhatsApp And Facebook
If you are a regular at the RMYC Sailing School, we recommend joining the Information Only WhatsApp group.
We post details of events, cancellations, extra lessons and much more.
Please use the QR code below to join the group. There is a separate group for the Summer Term.
Another way to keep up with activities and news from the RMYC Sailing School, is our Facebook page. Please use the QR Code below to view our page.
Buying Sailing equipment and clothing
Sailing clothing and items such as sailing gloves and life jackets can be bought locally from Gauci Borda and RLR Yachting, both situated on the Gzira seafront.
Decathlon is another option. I
What happens during the lessons?
The first lessons will be on an RS Vision dinghy.
On each dinghy, there will be an instructor and no more than 5 children.
Once each child gains enough sailing skills and knowledge, they can then move on to a single-handed dinghy, LASER BUG.
Each lesson will begin with rigging the dinghies, a briefing (explanation of what will happen in the lesson), a time out on the water, and the lesson will end with de-rigging and washing the dinghies.
Children who wish to log their sailing time and lessons can buy a Logbook from the office at a fee of €5. These will be filled in by our instructors, after each lesson.
The first lessons will take place on a Dinghy – RS Vision.
In general, they will be accompanied by an instructor and another adult.
Once enough knowledge and skills have been gained, it is then possible to rent one of our dinghies.
Should a sailor wish to have a one-to-one lesson, these can be arranged subject to the instructor and dinghy availability.
Please contact us to enquire.
A private lesson should be prepaid before confirmation is given.
Children who begin aged 5 to 12
RS Vision Beginner > Laser Bug > Optimist
Children who begin aged 12 to 16
RS Vision Beginner > RS Feva (double-handed)
RS Vision Beginner > Advanced sailing (no instructor)
Booking a lesson
Lessons can be booked via our CheckFront site, up to 36 hours prior to the lessons, and subject to availability.
To book please follow the instructions below.
- Please go to the CheckFront website – https://rmyc-sailing-school.checkfront.com/reserve/?
- Select the category of your lesson – Youth sailing/ Adult/ Summer
- Select the date of the lesson you wish to book, in the side panel.
- Scroll down and select the lesson or package you wish to book – EG RS Vision Beginners/ Adult
- Check the details of the package before continuing.
- Click the Continue button and complete the details.
- Should you wish to add extra weeks/dates, please click “Add to Booking” before submitting your booking.
It is important you book the correct group and lesson.
Should you need to cancel a lesson, please do so with as much advanced notice as possible.
You can cancel by sending an email if more than 24 hrs notice.
Should you need to cancel a lesson at short notice, less than 24 hrs notice please send a message to 99307037.
Cancellations made less than 24hours in advance will be charged at 50%
Sailors who fail to show up to their lesson will be charged in full.
Lessons should be paid for in advance.
Payments can be made at the RMYC Sailing and can be made at the time of booking by Bank Transfer or in cash or Credit Card at the sailing school office
HSBC plc – Gzira Branch
Acc Name: Royal Malta Yacht Club
Acc No.: 039036173002
IBAN NO: MT 94 MMEB 4439 2000 0000 3903 6173 002
Swift Code: MMEBMTMT
Terms and Conditions
- Bookings are to be made online, sailors without a confirmed booking will be turned away.
- Term fees include all scheduled lessons, irrespective of the number of lessons attended -please see the calendar.
- Term fees should be paid in advance.
- Term fee prices reflect the anticipation of an occasionally missed lesson. No make-up lessons will be offered.
- Refunds will only be issued on the presentation of a Doctor’s note.
- Program change requests made after initial enrolment will be carried out based on the availability of space and cannot be guaranteed.
- Refunds are issued by cheque.
Covid – 19 Restrictions & Safety Measures – Subject to change.
- Pick up and Drop off point, in front of the Club. Sailors are to be dropped off at the front of the RMYC and collected from the same point. Parents are not to enter the slipway area.
- Sailors to wear masks, onshore AT ALL TIMES.
- Changing rooms and showers will be closed. Sailors are to arrive ready changed and leave in the clothes which they arrived in.
- Sailors’ temperature will be taken when arriving at the drop-off point. Any sailor with a temperature of over 37.2c will be sent home.
- Sailors who miss lessons due to sickness will be asked to provide a doctor’s note before returning to lessons.
- Sailors will be asked to bring enough drinking water, in their own reusable bottles, to last for the duration of the lesson. There will be no access to the drinking fountain.
- Sailors will need to bring their own lifejacket
- No sharing of equipment. Sailors should ensure they have all the equipment they need for the lesson.